Leadership is an act that makes someone come forward and take over the initiative to develop innovative ideas through a common goal and ambition of improving the state of the environment living in. figure 1. “LeaderShip”(wiki, 2015)
what is so different in great leaders all around the world?
- they have hope and vision to see the future.
- strategic planning to execute new ideas is a key quality.
- they work and feel with the employees, which makes them work as a family.
- courage is one of the most important quality in a good leader. having the courage to take a risk with new and different ideas with no assurance of success.
- “Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps, they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them.” – Jack Canfield (Jack Canfield is an author and a motivational speaker who has been known for giving great speeches regarding Creative LeaderShip.)
For me, Sir Alex Ferguson is one of the greatest leaders I have seen till date. Sir Alex Ferguson one of the most earned names in the English football history. Sir Alex Ferguson is also the greatest manager to ever manage a team which led him to build a reputation for himself. figure 2. “Sir Alex Ferguson”(Old Trafford, ManUtd.com, 2013)
let’s start with his achievements, Sir Alex Ferguson has played a role as a manager of Manchester United for more than 27 years. managing a team like Manchester United for 27 years is a lifetime achievement, but he was also able to accumulate 12 Premier League titles, Two Champions League Title, five FA Cup Trophies, 10 Community Shields and one FIFA Club World Cup.
figure 3. “Achievements of Sir Alex Ferguson”(Manutd.com, 2013)
Sir Alex Ferguson is one of the greatest managers of all time. some major qualities that gave the “Sir” before his name as a leader was.
- he was the who made the important decisions and carried the whole team for success. Sir Ferguson has kept the fans, the players, the staff together as a big family for 27 years. he had taken the responsibility of developing a youth team and making a legendary team.
- As the leader of the team, it was his duty to earn the respect from each and everyone from the team and staff. he had the ability to inspire them as a valuable asset for the team. “At the end of the game, the European Cup will be only six feet away from you and you’ll not even be able to touch it if we lose, and for many of you, that will be the closest you will ever get. Don’t dare come back in here without giving it your all” Sir Alex Ferguson 1999 Champions League Final (Sir Alex Ferguson gave this short motivational dialogue right before the players left the dressing room to play the game of their life.)
- building relationships with the team and connecting to them is a key quality of a good leader and Sir Ferguson was very good at this quality. not only he had a good relationship with his team, staff, and fans but also with the other rival team and managers. even the other great managers used to learn things from him. other managers used to take him as their leader.
these were some of the greatest qualities that made him a great leader. he always had a vision and hope and this vision took him to select a player named Cristiano Ronaldo from a small team to his big team. at first, the fans didn’t support him with this decision but he always had hope in this kid and now in 2017, Cristiano Ronaldo has become the greatest footballer of all time.
in conclusion, I would like to say that if there is a good leader above you, then you can become successful in your life or else become a good leader if you have all the qualities to become one.
Ferguson, S. A. (2017, March 08). the best quote of Sir Alex Ferguson. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from https://www.sportskeeda.com/slideshow/football-6-best-quotes-sir-alex-ferguson
Leader. (n.d.). Retrieved December 18, 2017, from http://www.milesfinchinnovation.com/blog/2013/05/16/the-seven-cs-of-creative-leadership/
Leadership in campaigning – some thoughts. (2016, October 26). Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://thoughtfulcampaigner.org/2381-2/
Manchester United Official Web Site. (n.d.). Retrieved December 18, 2017, from http://www.manutd.com/Splash-Page.aspx
Sir Alex Ferguson. (2017, July 29). Retrieved December 14, 2017, from https://in.pinterest.com/pin/733946070494702251/?lp=true
Tracy, B. (2017, November 17). Leadership Qualities (INFOGRAPHIC) | Brian Tracy. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from https://www.briantracy.com/blog/leadership-success/the-seven-leadership-qualities-of-great-leaders-strategic-planning/